Let's talk about: Philosophy, religion, current events, science, books, and all sorts of other strange and quirky things. It'll be fun. Really.



Thursday, August 27, 2009

I don't even know what to call this...except disturbing...


View more news videos at: http://www.nbcwashington.com/video.


Ok, so it's really horrible that these kids did this at all, but it's seriously disturbing that one of them was black.

Dear Black Kid: White Power does not like you! Swastikas are not your friend! When your friends start saying "Hey, let's go write KKK in sod!" that's when you say "Hey, I gotta go get some new friends!" You should not respond with, "Oh super! I'll start making the swastika!"

My mind is officially boggled.

I am wondering if these kids knew what they were writing. It is so hard to believe that they didn't. But then, in the past year, I have been constantly surprised about what the teenagers at the high school where my boyfriend teaches are unfamilar with. They seem to do and say things of which they do not understand, or fully understand, the meaning or consequences. Perhaps that was the case here. Or perhaps its another example of the fact that racism is still pervasive in the United States and being passed down to younger generations. But I still don't understand what the black kid was thinking...

No comments:

Post a Comment