Let's talk about: Philosophy, religion, current events, science, books, and all sorts of other strange and quirky things. It'll be fun. Really.



Saturday, August 15, 2009

Holy Anacreon!

As I wrote my first post last night, I realized that in many ways, this blog is my "coming out" as an Atheist, officially and publicly. People who are close to me know this about me already, of course. But for most of my life I have been a polite and quiet Atheist. When asked about my religion I would share that I was raised Greek Orthodox, or, if I was feeling a little more daring, that I was agnostic or "not very religious." But these were half-truths, a way to prevent an uncomfortable situation or being prematurely judged.

But you know what? I want to say it. And I don't want to feel bad. I am an Atheist.

So there.

After all, I've never met anyone who tried to cover up the fact that they do believe in god. In fact, I've met a lot of peoplewho are downright thrilled to share that fun little tidbit with me. And they do not feel ashamed. Neither should I! Do I expect to be judged unfairly? Yes. Do I expect uncomfortable conversations and awkward expanses of silence? Bring it on! What better way to show that there is absolutely nothing wrong with being an Atheist than being honest about it?

I've started talking about it more openly lately, and it feels good. It feels like the right thing to do, because I really don't like the fact that so many people feel like Atheists are immoral and untrustworthy. If you know me, you know that I am made of the strongest of moral fibers -- moral burlap if you will. So I take those accusations quite personally. I've worked hard to hold myself to high standards all my life and I'm certainly not going to let anyone tell me that I need to believe in a "higher power" to be a good and kind person. Because I know with every ounce of who I am, that that is just not true.

So I'm going to lead by example. I'm an Atheist, yes. But I want people to know that so that they stop making assumptions. I don't have horns. I'm not compelled to attend orgies. I've never killed a man. And I'm not going to hell. I'm a human being. I like kittens and cake and funny jokes just like everyone else.

Yes, that's right, Atheists are people, too! How novel an idea!

Am I a little nervous about what some people with think? Yes, I am. I woke up this morning with a feeling of nervous anticipation. What will old friends think? My boyfriend's parents? Who will read this and then gasp dramatically and shout OH MY? We'll just have to wait and see...!

I'm looking forward to getting Atheism out in the open, to having lively discussions with religious folks and Atheists alike, and to getting heckled every now and then. It's going to be an adventure!

And now, I'm off to check out this cool Scarlet Letter shirt on RichardDawkins.net!

1 comment:

  1. Heya chickadee,
    While I did not gasp "oh, my", and while I am not shocked or offened, I did want to let you know that I had no idea that was your stance-just to give you an idea of how quiet you kept it.I do love that you are embracing your beliefs,er, or rather lack thereof? Know that I love you know matter, that I find hilarious that you decided to do this while in NC, and that if you get an offer for a situational comedy on prime time, I would love to be the reoccuring goofy, neighbor next door character. Kisses from Michigan-I miss you! Laura

    ReplyDelete