Let's talk about: Philosophy, religion, current events, science, books, and all sorts of other strange and quirky things. It'll be fun. Really.



Monday, June 21, 2010

Summer Reading: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake; Tasty but not very filling...



After reading several good reviews and getting a personal recommendation, I decided to pick up Aimee Bender's latest novel, The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake. I was intrigued as it follows the life of a girl who can taste feelings in food. Overall it was a pleasant and easy read. The characters were interesting enough, generally likable, there was not that much depth to them, but then it wasn't a particularly long book either. But I've read short stories with more developed characters... I also found it slightly unnerving that Bender doesn't use any quotation marks for dialogue and there were several sections of the book where I was just confused about where in timeline of the story I was exactly. For the most part it was what I expected, an easy, slightly fluffy summer read. Certainly not a bad choice at all if you're looking for something pleasant with some intriguing twists to read on a hot afternoon or at the beach. If you have more than I few hours to kill, you might want to bring a second book. It doesn't take much longer than baking a lemon cake to breeze through this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment